Phidgets Services for RDS
These RDS services are for Phidgets
boards. The services rely on the low-level drivers provided by Phidgets.
This documentation includes details to help you to
write your own services
for RDS to work with Phidgets.
The following services for Phidgets boards are available in the Phidgets package:
Installation Instructions for Phidgets Services
Installation is easy, but you need to follow the instructions below.
- You must have Visual Studio and RDS already installed on your PC.
- Go to the Phidgets web site and download the appropriate Phidgets installer from the Drivers section of the web site.
- Install the Phidgets drivers.
- Download the ZIP file and unzip it under your RDS installation folder into the
samples\Platforms folder. This should create a folder called samples\Platforms\Phidgets.
- Open a DSS Command Prompt. (You can find it in the Start Menu under Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio).
- Enter the following command at the prompt: DssProjectMigration /b- samples\Platforms\Phidgets
- Open each of the Solution files in the PhidgetsBoards, PhidgetsServices, and
PhidgetsTestServices folders in Visual Studio 2010 and build each of the solutions.
The RDS services can now be used from VPL or C#.
Testing the Services
Before you try to use the RDS services, you should test your Phidgets boards using the sample software available from Phidgets. Download the C# Code Samples from the Programming section of the Phidgets web site. Run the applicable program, e.g.
InterfaceKit-full.exe. This will confirm that the hardware and device drivers are working.
- Open a DSS Command Prompt (from the Start Menu).
- Start a new DSS node: DssHost /p:50000 /t:50001
- Start a web browser and navigate to http://localhost:50000/
- Select Control Panel from the menu at the left of the page.
- Locate the Phidget Test Service that you want to run in the list of services. Make sure you select the Test Service, not the Phidget service itself. (It might take a while before the list appears because the contract directory cache will be rebuilt).
- Choose the associated manifest from the dropdown and click the Create button.
- Select Service Directory frmo the menu at the left of the page.
- Locate the running instance of the Test Service in the list and click on the link.
- You will now be directed to the UI page for the Phidget Test Service and you can interact with the service.
The services are provided as source only -- there are no binary files. You must have Visual Studio 2010 to compile the services.
Before compiling, you must run DssProjectMigration
to make sure that the paths in the project file are correct.
The services have only been tested with RDS 2008 R3.